Leyland Forum
Bleach Works - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Research and history Projects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Local Research and History Projects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Bleach Works (/showthread.php?tid=1187)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Bleach Works - Martin - 07-Nov-2006 11:09 PM

This request came in today from Fran in Cheshire

quote:

My daughter is doing a project on a family from Leyland who worked in the Bleach Works in Victorian times (1861). They lived on Union Street. Is there any way of finding out what a blaterdown was at the bleachworks. I have found out that a Crofter was the person who bleached the cloth but have tried the internet, Manchester library, etc. to find the role of a blaterdown. Can you help please??

- William R - 08-Nov-2006 12:05 AM

The nearest I can get in my ancient dictionary is another word for "beating". I assume this is part of the bleaching process where the cloth is beaten down to get full absorbtion of the bleach to whiten it.

I hope this is helpful, but I`m sure others will be contributing to help you. William R

- Lynne - 08-Nov-2006 03:43 PM

Sounds likely ,William.
Another word that may be connected is 'blat'-which is an olde English word for pale.
Maybe the whitening or making paler of the material.
There are some wonderful names for old trades and professions in the cotton and wool industry etc-some of which you come across when researching family history.

- muffers - 11-Feb-2009 07:09 PM

I know this is an old topic but I am trying to remember. When I was small we would walk to Seven Stars from Cowling Lane and close to Seven Stars was a very big building you had to walk past. Would that have been the bleach works?

- TonyL - 11-Feb-2009 10:50 PM

quote:

Originally posted by muffers

I know this is an old topic but I am trying to remember. When I was small we would walk to Seven Stars from Cowling Lane and close to Seven Stars was a very big building you had to walk past. Would that have been the bleach works?

No

- muffers - 11-Feb-2009 11:19 PM

Then what was that large building on the right hand side of the road?

- anacortesdamp - 11-Feb-2009 11:34 PM

No, Avril, that was one of the cotton mills. One side of the building took up the west side of Leyland Lane from the corner of Dunkirk Lane to a narrow "backs" behind the houses on Slater Lane. It then went all the way west to Mill St, filled the entire length of Mill St between that "backs" to Dunkirk Lane and also the block of Dunkirk between Mill St and Leyland Lane.

I can't remember which company owned it.

The Bleach Works was (still is?) west of Broadfield Drive. The retirement home near St. Mary's Church was once, I believe, the mill manager's house. My maternal grandmother lived there towards the end of her life.

Looking at Google Maps, there seem to be a lot more roads than I remember, so maybe the old bleach works is gone. I think where Haig Avenue met Broadfield Drive, the road opposite Haig Avenue would have been the works entry.

That development with Elmwood Avenue, Gorsewood, Larchwood Crescent, etc, are probably on the old factory site. google still shows a body of water, which is probably the old bleach works reservoir. I have a reprint of a 1909 OS map of that area, but its western boundary is the middle of the bleach works, so I can't see what Leyland Lane was like..

It shows a road where Haig Avenue is at Broadfield, but it doesn't go through to School Lane. It doglegs northwards, probably on the track of the current Southbrook and Northbrook roads to Golden Hill.

Frank

- TonyL - 12-Feb-2009 12:25 AM

quote:

Originally posted by muffers

Then what was that large building on the right hand side of the road?

Mount Pleasant mill
View circa 1960
[Image: screenshot006mh1.jpg]

- muffers - 12-Feb-2009 04:51 AM

Thankyou both for the help. Always remember what a big building that was to walk past.

- Lynne - 18-Feb-2009 08:28 PM

Re working in the Bleach Works-have just come across a document which is dated 1893 needed on behalf of The Factories and Works Act, which required a sworn statement of date of birth for my Grandmother who was born in 1882 and attended the Leyland Wesleyan School.
They lived in Andrews Terrace, Towngate at the time and I was always told that she started work at the Bleach works as a 'maker up' at the age of 11 or 12.
By 'maker up' I assumed it was pouring the prepared bleach into containers.
She had suffered a badly burned hand as a result of working there and the fingers were stuck to the palm but despite that did beautiful crochet work all her life.