Leyland Forum
Christmas 2017 - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Forum News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Members News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Christmas 2017 (/showthread.php?tid=5145)

Pages: 1 2 3

Christmas 2017 - anacortesdamp - 27-Dec-2017 06:33 AM

We had our family party this year on Christmas Eve, since they all wanted to have their own celebrations on "the day". All the family members who live in the US came, along with "significant others", except one grand-daughter who lives in Montana. Our grandson who lives in New York city came the farthest. Our family members in Japan weren't present.

We had 4 generations represented, as our grand-daughter brought her 1-year-old daughter - our first great-grandchild. Having 15 people here was a bit of a challenge, but we've done it a few times before. Fortunately, our oldest daughter has the organizational skills to divide up who-brings-what, and it went off very well.

We had our first snow last night in Western Washington. Seattle got about 5 inches. We got just enough to see, and the flakes were far enough apart to count!

Best wishes to all Leyland Forum contributors for the New Year. Keep posting and see if you can get some new members to join. I don't think I can contribute to that effort. as we don't have anyone from Leyland among our British friends.

Frank Damp
Anacortes, WA

RE: Christmas 2017 - noel - 27-Dec-2017 02:07 PM

Cheers Frank. We had our family get together on Boxing Day, 13 of us 3 generations the youngest being 3 and the eldest me!!! Our sons are quite loud, whilst I am not, so I opened up the conservatory put the heating on and when not in the kitchen getting food ready, had a quiet time in there. No snow here, it's been unseasonably warm 10 c which is 50F in USA language. but today feels a lot cooler and some parts of the UK I am reading have had snow. There's enough food left over, particularly turkey, to last the week out. When we bought it, just a small crown, ,2.7kg it said feeds 6 to 8. Well we fed 5 on Christmas day and we had 13 over as I said Boxing Day, and there's still a load of it left. Turkey curry, turkey risotto, what fun lies ahead.

RE: Christmas 2017 - anacortesdamp - 27-Dec-2017 06:02 PM

We almost finished our 11 lb. turkey when the family were here. Eileen and I had turkey enchilladas for dinner last night and our Labrador got the little bit that was left in her dinner. There's still about a pound of the ham left, but it's gone gristly as we dug deeper. It's a different cut of ham that Costco carries and we hadn't had one before. That may be the dog's dinner tonight and tomorrow.

The weather is more typical this morning - dull, overcast, cloud-base at around 2000 ft, raining lightly and 40F at 09:00.

Happy New Year to all.

Frank

RE: Christmas 2017 - jwhi - 27-Dec-2017 06:42 PM

Turkey turkey everywhere........good job I like it in all its forms! Tried goose once but found it very greasy. Anyway for a change it's fish for dinner (with Christmas veg leftovers of course).
Miserable weather down here. It's been 1C, 34F all day, snowed this morning and the river 100yds behind us is in flood, spreading across my dogwalking fields. Great fun. Looking forward to spring. . . .

Happy New Year to all

RE: Christmas 2017 - noel - 28-Dec-2017 11:08 AM

A bit of light hailstone this morning but nothing like the weather you're getting John. I decided to see how much weight I'd put on over christmas, dreaded weigh-in but much to my surprise I'd lost 2lbs. Can't have eaten enough. Back to the gym next week. I like to get in at least twice a week, 30 minutes on the rowing apparatus then 20 treadmill then the circuit weights. I've been doing this now since I retired. Helps to control the diabetes I suffer from.

RE: Christmas 2017 - jwhi - 28-Dec-2017 05:25 PM

(28-Dec-2017 11:08 AM)noel Wrote:  A bit of light hailstone this morning but nothing like the weather you're getting John. I decided to see how much weight I'd put on over christmas, dreaded weigh-in but much to my surprise I'd lost 2lbs. Can't have eaten enough. Back to the gym next week. I like to get in at least twice a week, 30 minutes on the rowing apparatus then 20 treadmill then the circuit weights. I've been doing this now since I retired. Helps to control the diabetes I suffer from.

I'm on a 'type 2 diabetes prevention course' Noel, been having group meetings for 2 months which really made me examine my diet and go into salads in a big way, hardly any choc, none of my favourite salted peanuts, no pies etc etc. I lost half a stone - but along came Christmas and my resolve faltered! Now I've to get back to the good habits.
A good start today actually, Tesco have reduced the price of big Qual Street tins so I grabbed one.........further round the store my conscience made me go and put it back!

RE: Christmas 2017 - noel - 28-Dec-2017 07:44 PM

I joined Slimming world something I try to keep quiet about and found the food changes, very conducive to a diabetes diet, mine is type 2 as well. 12 months on I had lost 3 stone and become a lifetime free member. Not been to class now for over 12 months and I'm just 4 lbs heavier. It just gets in your head how to cook things. Going back in the new year, you find you do need the weekly weigh in to focus the mind.

RE: Christmas 2017 - jwhi - 29-Dec-2017 05:38 PM

(28-Dec-2017 07:44 PM)noel Wrote:  I joined Slimming world something I try to keep quiet about and found the food changes, very conducive to a diabetes diet, mine is type 2 as well. 12 months on I had lost 3 stone and become a lifetime free member. Not been to class now for over 12 months and I'm just 4 lbs heavier. It just gets in your head how to cook things. Going back in the new year, you find you do need the weekly weigh in to focus the mind.
That's very good! I'm not too bothered about losing weight - spent much of my life trying to put it on, but it is nice to be able to get into jeans and a suit that had all mysteriously shrunk over the last 2 years.
I agree with you that it does focus the mind on diet and cooking though......I'm quaking at the thought of facing 'Miss' at the next meeting and admitting that I sinned over Christmas!

RE: Christmas 2017 - Dave H - 29-Dec-2017 06:40 PM

I am also Type 2 since I was 50, now borderline type 1 but a bad diabetic not bothering much with diet relying on Glucophage and insulin, enjoying Christmas but not increasing weight as I am the whippet brigade and have been all my life and at 78 I am not worrying about living till I am 100...Smile

RE: Christmas 2017 - noel - 29-Dec-2017 08:17 PM

You're in the right place for a Mediterranean diet Dave. That's the ideal one. I won't be going back to SW until I get these 4 lbs off. Don't intend to ever pay again at class. Incidentally I came across filmoss on Facebook he's an ex forum member who couldn't log in when the new software was introduced. Kept rejecting his password so he gave up. Sounds like he won't be trying again which I m sorry about because he certainly got us all thinking ( and wound up in some cases) . See your email also published in the post Frank.