Leyland Forum
Leyland Historical Society. - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Forum News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Members News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Leyland Historical Society. (/showthread.php?tid=5148)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Leyland Historical Society. - frank h - 02-Feb-2018 09:29 PM

I have spoted an Advert in my local papper, asking for help if you worked at The Motors, Rubber Works, Paint Works, Bleach Works, Cotton Mills or other Factories in Leyland & Farington. The society would like to record your memeries and invite you to come to a FREE meeting on 12th February at the Civic Centre West Paddock at 7.30pm for more information ring -
01772 641604, or visit the society web site.

frank h.

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - noel - 04-Feb-2018 07:51 PM

cheers Frank, I noticed it too. I worked in the rubber industry from 1964 to 2012. BTR Centurion Way 64 to 79, L&B 1988 to 2005 when it closed then various smaller companies . Don't think I will be going to the meeting though, can't imagine i could contribute anything.

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - frank h - 04-Feb-2018 08:55 PM

I might come over and see what it's all about. I worked 38 years as a Joiner for A M Tomlinsons from 1959, we worked in all the Rubber factories, and Paint works and Cotton factory in Farington. My younger brother worked at L&B from 1970-until it closed, my wife also worked there and Leyland paints. My father worked at BTR and Motors North works. Tomlinsons built the Hose shop, the Mixing shop and the extension to the Belt shop at BTR Centurian Way.

frank h.

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - noel - 04-Feb-2018 10:30 PM

I must have come across certainly your brother Frank. And I remember Tomlinsons and Rex Campbell working on the Centurion Way plant. Back in the sixties the belt shop was being extended. I worked in the lab then weighing on electronic balances to 0.001 of a gram. The pile driving every few seconds, to lay the foundations didn't help. :-)

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - anacortesdamp - 05-Feb-2018 04:23 PM

Frank H:

If you worked for Tomlinson's for that length of time, you're probably familiar with our family. We lived at No. 7 Church Road for many years starting in 1949, I think. Our garage formed part of the boundary wall of Tomlinson's Church RoadYard, across from the truck and hearse garages.

After the Church Road remodel took away most of our front garden and put the 109 bus stop practically at the front door, we finally sold it to the Doctors' group (Raven, McDowell, et al) and moved to Hargreaves Avenue.

Frank D.

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - frank h - 05-Feb-2018 09:03 PM

Noel,
My brother is Tony Houghton the last things I remember him working on were shock absorbers for the railways.
The pile driving reminded me about how boggy that job was, I was involed building the shutters for the outer walls having to climb in and out of trenches in the mud. A fellow aprentice John Deacon got one of his feet stuck steped out of his wellington boot to see it sucked under the mud and it's still there today.

frank h.

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - noel - 09-Feb-2018 08:00 AM

The name doesn't ring a bell Frank, I guess he must have worked in the press shop? I'll ask my pal who looked after the technical side in there remembers him. Back to the belt shop extension, driving past on my way home, a terrific gust of wind picked up a sheet of corrugated panel straight across the front of the car I was driving. Someone from Tomlinsons, I presume came round to our house ( my parents, I was 18 at the time) to inspect the damage which was a huge dent across the bonnet. Normally I would have been cycling so small mercies.

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - peterhistorical - 09-Feb-2018 03:25 PM

Hi Frank

Hope to see you on Monday. Make sure you introduce yourself to me

Peter Houghton
Chairman

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - frank h - 09-Feb-2018 09:20 PM

Noel

Thats typical most building jobs seem to start in bad weather, knee deep in mud and cold and then the internal finishings in the height of summer. We never got enough pay to compensate for the cold and frost in those days, today pay has risen and safety improved.

frank h.

RE: Leyland Historical Society. - admin - 10-Feb-2018 12:48 PM

Hi Peter, your posts should appear straight away from now on.