Leyland Forum
Apprenticed at Leyland Motors - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Leyland Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Work Mates (/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Thread: Apprenticed at Leyland Motors (/showthread.php?tid=825)

Pages: 1 2 3

Apprenticed at Leyland Motors - Barry Smalley - 28-Jan-2006 05:51 AM

I was at Leyland Motors during my apprenticeship from 1969 through 1973. I remember the strike in 73, it was during the strike that I decided that New Zealand was the place for me. I worked at Spurrier Works, Farrington, South Works and North Works. I was working in the nozzle shop when I finished, my mother had been at Leyland Motors during the war. She was at work the day the bomb dropped through the workshops at Farrington. I remember the casing outside of the workshop when I left.

I joined the Police in New Zealand in 1977 and am still there to this day as an Inspector. I had fond memories of Leyland.

- noel - 28-Jan-2006 10:40 AM

Welcome Barry. My mother was shop steward in the nozzle shop at that time she was a member of the strike committee which was odd for someone who always voted conservative, well in those days anyway. I remember a few names from there and things such as "capstan" whatever that was. Welcome anyway, don't blame you for emigrating to New Zealand, somewhere I always wanted to go.

- Sharon - 28-Jan-2006 04:10 PM

Welcome Barry.
My dad worked at spurrier but if was after your time I'm afraid. He worked there from 1975 till 1990.

- Barry Smalley - 28-Jan-2006 07:20 PM

Capstan Lathes Noel ... I remember them well.

- noel - 28-Jan-2006 09:15 PM

My mother was called Florence, I remember Eric Rawcliffe who was what mum called a "setter" I think, and another man Yates, who was a really keen runner, ran to work every day with bricks in a ruck sack to make it more difficult.

- Barry Smalley - 29-Jan-2006 07:06 AM

Noel, ask your mother if she remembers Ada Smalley. I remember Eric and yes he was a tool setter. They had a cushy life in the nozzle shop, well from where I was as the apprentice they did ... laugh

- Barry Smalley - 29-Jan-2006 07:07 AM

Sorry Noel, I should have asked if your mother was still alive. My mother is in her 80's, dad passed away three years ago. Sorry if I gaffed.

- shuffy - 29-Jan-2006 08:51 AM

My mum worked in the nozle shop about that time Celia Shufflebottom, yes you can all laugh

- Spitfire - 29-Jan-2006 10:19 AM

Who`s laughing Dedra? Certainly not I. [}Smile][Tongue]

- noel - 29-Jan-2006 09:06 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Barry Smalley

Sorry Noel, I should have asked if your mother was still alive. My mother is in her 80's, dad passed away three years ago. Sorry if I gaffed.

There was a Smalley she mentioned but I can't remember her first name.Smalley is a very popular local name, it may have been Ada.
Mum died nearly 20 years ago Brian aged 74, don't worry about any "gaf".