Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bleach Works
18-Feb-2009, 08:53 PM

Can you imagine working in such conditions as such a young age. All those fumes she must have inhaled. And with her hand so badly injured she overcame it to do such delicate work.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
19-Feb-2009, 12:01 AM

Cow Lane and Broadfield Walk
This lane led from the west side of Towngate about 100 yards north of the Cross. It was a very beautiful lane with neatly trimmed hedges on both sides, the road itself being covered with red shale. Cow Lane was the main route from the village to John Stanning's residence " Broadfield " and the Bleach Works known as Shruggs.

The residence now again known as " The Warren " was for a time named " Haere Mai " which is Maori for " Welcome ". This is believed to have been renamed in 1928, when Mr Allen, the manager of the Bleach Works lived there with his wife who was a New Zealander.

The boundary between Shruggs Wood and Cow Lane consisted of a high brick wall, which followed the western side of the lane as far as the entrance to a market gardener's, now the site of Nursery Close. The last remaining section of the original wall can still be seen between Nursery Close and the back entry to St Mary’s Church.

Opposite to the entrance to the market gardeners, an enclosed footpath left the lane to cross a field to the bottom of Westgate. A short portion of the path at the side of the fire station still exists.

The Broadfield Estate was begun at the end of the Second World War with Italian prisoners of war aiding in the construction. The name of Broadfield comes from the two fields detailed on the tithe plan as Great Broadfield and Little Broadfield.

Broadfield House
Broadfield, the home of the Stanning’s built in 1891, was a stately mansion with beautiful gardens built on the instructions contained within the lease between John Stanning and Susan Maria Farington of 1872. The house, gardens and surroundings had to cost a minimum of £3000, though the mansion eventually costed double the amount specified.

The two big lakes with boathouses, swans and ducks were really a reservoir for the works though they were stocked with brown and rainbow trout. In one room of the house, the panelling was from the Foudroyant, a ship that was wrecked off the coast of Blackpool. The mansion was demolished even before the firm itself closed down.

John Stanning & Son - Shruggs Bleach Works
The bleach works probably started about 1790 as a small crofters, the first lease being dated 1844 between James Fletcher and Squire James Nowell Farington. By 1872, the firm had become John Stanning and Son, though John Stanning had arrived the previous year as a sub - tenant of the late James Fletcher's lease.

The size of the works may be guessed by the number of its departments, many having dates over the door. The oldest dated building was at the entrance to the Scutchers - 1884, the next was the dye house alongside the chimney - 1886, the Beetle Place - 1890, the Blue Place and Clamp Room - 1900. The Engine House was dated 1902 and the Mercerise Place, which replaced the old cobbled yard, was dated 1913. These replaced the old works buildings from the same type of Littlewood brick.

Not what you asked for but some info on Stannings bleach works hope it helps.
19-Feb-2009, 11:51 AM

quote:

Originally posted by muffers

Can you imagine working in such conditions as such a young age.

It was common at that time, sadly. My great-grandmother was going to school in the morning and working in the mill in the afternoon from the age of six. Young children were required because they were the only ones small enough to crawl under the looms, collecting the lint which became a fire hazard if left on the machinery and floor. Of course the looms were still in action during this cleaning procedure, so injuries were frequent, though fortunately my great-gran escaped harm. And if the machinery didn't get you, inhaling minute lint particles gave you a bad chest.

How awful that your grandmother was the victim of an industrial injury at such a young age, Lynne. [V]
01-Mar-2009, 09:22 PM

My family lived on Dunkirk Lane which was one of the roads bordering Mount Pleasant Cotton Mill. Before the traffic arrived from 1950 to 1955 we used to play in Mill Street which also adjoined the mill. We used to play cricket and tennis using the substantial wall of the mill. In summertime there was an access door which was left open to help with ventilation and we would spend hours watching the looms operating. The noise was deafening and the workers would lip read. On hot days the workers would send us to the shops to buy iced lollies for them. Several members of my family worked in the mill. The workers had a social club which presented a drama somewhere in the mill. When the mill closed I helped the men removing the looms during the school holidays. Each loom had felt pads underneath to absorb the tremendous vibration and my job was to remove these pads with a hammer and chisel. The mill became a printing works. We explored the tower at the top of the building and found helmets and gas masks from the second world war.
Regards to all,
Brian
02-Mar-2009, 09:28 AM

What an interesting insight Brian. I also had family who worked in the cotton mills (Preston)and ,as you say, the sound was literally deafening. On the occasions when I visited (or should I say smuggled) I can well remember leaving via London Road and seeing all the traffic flowing past but being unable to hear it for quite some time. What would H&S do these days I wonder?

Jim
02-Mar-2009, 08:13 PM

Thanks for that, Brian. Can you imagine the law suits if all those deaf mill workers had sought compensation? How times have changed! I know we frequently say H&S has gone overboard, but when you think back to conditions of the fairly recent past, improvements definitely had to happen.
30-Sep-2018, 09:09 AM
RE: Bleach Works
(11-Feb-2009 11:34 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  No, Avril, that was one of the cotton mills. One side of the building took up the west side of Leyland Lane from the corner of Dunkirk Lane to a narrow "backs" behind the houses on Slater Lane. It then went all the way west to Mill St, filled the entire length of Mill St between that "backs" to Dunkirk Lane and also the block of Dunkirk between Mill St and Leyland Lane.

I can't remember which company owned it.

The Bleach Works was (still is?) west of Broadfield Drive. The retirement home near St. Mary's Church was once, I believe, the mill manager's house. My maternal grandmother lived there towards the end of her life.

Looking at Google Maps, there seem to be a lot more roads than I remember, so maybe the old bleach works is gone. I think where Haig Avenue met Broadfield Drive, the road opposite Haig Avenue would have been the works entry.

That development with Elmwood Avenue, Gorsewood, Larchwood Crescent, etc, are probably on the old factory site. google still shows a body of water, which is probably the old bleach works reservoir. I have a reprint of a 1909 OS map of that area, but its western boundary is the middle of the bleach works, so I can't see what Leyland Lane was like..

It shows a road where Haig Avenue is at Broadfield, but it doesn't go through to School Lane. It doglegs northwards, probably on the track of the current Southbrook and Northbrook roads to Golden Hill.

Frank
In live in Leyland where this very site used to be. You are correct in what you say. The once reservoirs in question are now a fishing pit and duck pond.
30-Sep-2018, 04:00 PM
Shanuth:

Your message shows being posted at 1:09 a.m. Unless you're a real night owl, that must be on my local time (US West coast summer time). Right now it's just coming up to 08:00 on Sunday 30 Sept. We've got our first real autumn day - 600' broken, 1000' grey overcast, rain & fog and 55F.

Frank
01-Oct-2018, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-Oct-2018 08:52 AM by Dave H.)
Nice to see the forum has not died, I used to live in woodlands drive in the 60s, my father-in-law Billy Smith was the boiler man at John Stannings and was retained by the building company for of his knowledge of the waterworks in the area of the factory grounds after the factory closed...

djh
01-Oct-2018, 05:19 PM
It's still bumbling along, Dave, but not very active. I still take a look every morning to see if there are any new posts. but they're few and far between.

Frank D.