Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
26-Jun-2008, 04:59 AM

I'm a bit date-confused abut Susan Bennett. Those of you posting are about 2 years or so behind my BGS travails (in the same year as my wife Eileen), but I remember a Bennett in my class, and I thought her name was Susan. My "graduation" year was 1957, though I made an abortive attempt to continue on in Lower VI and finally admitted defeat in April of 1958.

Her Dad had an electrical shop in that block on Towngate opposite the top of Westgate (now the chippy?). Maybe the Susan you guys know had an older sister whose name I'm confusing? For comparison, Sheila Platt was in my year and her younger sister Kathleen was in Eileen and Dedrah's year.

Were you in the year after them or two years later, Bro?

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-Jul-2008, 03:28 PM

Frank, you must be thinking of her older sister, whose name escapes.. she'd be around your age I think- and yes to the electrical shop.
Caroline
http://artistsmock.blogspot.com/

http://artistsmock.blogspot.com/
http://www.artistsmock.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-Oct-2017, 09:05 PM
RE: Balshaw's Grammar School
(03-May-2008 06:18 PM)Caroline Wrote:  I did a blog about art lessons at Balshaw's.
Includes a drawing of the Art Room and photo of pupils with Ralph May... Warning- some seriously retro glasses and hairstyles may upset Forum members of a more tasteful disposition.

http://artistsmock.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html
Wow that pic of the art room takes me back!
I'm new to the forum and was in the same year as yourself at Balshaw's Caroline......John Whitehead's the name.
I remember Miss Whewell and then Ralph May, a breath of fresh air (I exhibited next to a pic of his in the Lancashire Artists exhibition in Preston, about 1980). Yes I'm still painting, in fact I've just taken one to a local gallery today.
Regards
John
06-Oct-2017, 05:33 PM
Hi John and welcome.
07-Oct-2017, 05:46 PM
Welcome John. I packed in art after year 1 when it was clear I had no concept of perspective. I still draw like a 5 year old.
11-Oct-2017, 10:54 PM
(07-Oct-2017 05:46 PM)noel Wrote:  Welcome John. I packed in art after year 1 when it was clear I had no concept of perspective. I still draw like a 5 year old.
Art was my favourite subject Noel, particularly when Ralph May taught it. I've never stopped drawing and painting.
Having said that, I made a career in mechanical engineering instead and spent 20-odd years as a college lecturer.
John
12-Oct-2017, 06:58 PM
John:

Ralph May and family were our next-door neighbors in Hargreaves Avenue in the early 1960s. I also became an engineer (Royal College of Advanced Technology, Salford, now the University of Salford). Almost all my post-grad work was in the US at Boeing and NASA.

Frank
13-Oct-2017, 09:32 PM
(12-Oct-2017 06:58 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  John:

Ralph May and family were our next-door neighbors in Hargreaves Avenue in the early 1960s. I also became an engineer (Royal College of Advanced Technology, Salford, now the University of Salford). Almost all my post-grad work was in the US at Boeing and NASA.

Frank

That sounds like serious engineering Frank. Mine was more down-to-earth (if you'll pardon the pun!) at Leyland Motors and then teaching at Wigan College. Leyland sponsored me through Manchester University. Reminds me of a little tale........... you'll remember how the alumni board at BGS only seemed to list those who went on to do arts at Oxbridge, well I returned to Balshaws after I'd left to retake English GCE. When Bleasdale, headteacher, saw me he sneered "I suppose you know all about building diesel engines now"......... Balshavians clearly weren't expected to be craft apprentices.
John
15-Oct-2017, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 15-Oct-2017 04:36 PM by anacortesdamp.)
John:

I didn't consider a B.Sc. in engineering to be a "craft" apprenticeship. BAC did an excellent job of sending one through different groups in the company every few weeks, during the "work experience" months of a sandwich course college schedule. That background came in very useful later, when I was with Boeing.

My apprenticeship/college courses consumed almost 7 years before final graduation - one year day release at the Harris, then a switch to an Ordinary National Diploma sandwich course for two years at Blackpool Tech and finally the B.Sc. sandwich course at Salford for four years.

Frank
15-Oct-2017, 08:24 PM
(15-Oct-2017 04:30 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  John:

I didn't consider a B.Sc. in engineering to be a "craft" apprenticeship. BAC did an excellent job of sending one through different groups in the company every few weeks, during the "work experience" months of a sandwich course college schedule. That background came in very useful later, when I was with Boeing.

My apprenticeship/college courses consumed almost 7 years before final graduation - one year day release at the Harris, then a switch to an Ordinary National Diploma sandwich course for two years at Blackpool Tech and finally the B.Sc. sandwich course at Salford for four years.

Frank
I spent 7 years in training too come to think of it (after I didn't want to go to art college because 4 years was too long!).
Three years on the shopfloor with OND at the end, another three full time at the Harris like you and then about 18 months for the MSc (which I didn't want to do as I'd just got married, but LM insisted).
It's funny how students today can do a full-time HND in 2 years at 3-4 days a week whereas our generation took 3 years at 4-5 days each week - they must be 'faster learners'!
John