Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NoWcard - Places you can visit
13-Aug-2008, 09:22 PM

Noel , I've always fancied that too !
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
14-Aug-2008, 12:41 AM

One of the Skagit Transit drivers I know fairly well has a big motorhome, a 45-footer with double axles at the back. When I rode with him on a service bus trip the other day I was telling him about these neat British RVs, 70 feet long, 7 feet wide with a 40 horsepower engine and a top speed of 6 mph!

What got his attention was that you can moor them just about anywhere on the canal and you're not fighting regular traffic. They probably do better than 8 mpg, too!

Terry - what are the pros and cons of living on one full time?

There are so many people full-timing in motorhomes here that there are several commercial mail-forwarding services for that community.

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
14-Aug-2008, 08:51 AM

I'm just wondering how Terry logs on to the forum?
14-Aug-2008, 04:08 PM

Probably a wi-fi hook up, or maybe a satellite cell-phone connection. A lot of full-time RVers in the US have satellite systems, some with tracking dishes so that vehicle passengers can use a lap-top on line while the vehicle is moving.

Frank

14-Aug-2008, 07:12 PM

My mother uses the internet by using a mobile phone link-up. She has a special contract on her mobile which allows about 3 hours a day online. If she strays over that, she incurs additional charges.
14-Aug-2008, 10:02 PM

So many questions, where do I start, well as for the internet I have a contract with T. Mobile, £20 a month gives me free internet access 24hrs a day, but I am restricted to how much I can download 3 point something or other I dont understand all the techi bits.
Living on board, yes it is a wonderful life most of the time, winter can be hard if you get really bad weather though. Modern narrow boats are well equipped, we have a wood burning stove, plus central heating at the touch of a switch, satalite T.V,also colour T.V in the bedroom. A fridge and freezer and well eqipped galley, flush toilet, washing machine, everything you would have in a flat. Our boat is only 7ft wide and 60ft long but you get used to it. We use red diesil for running the engine and for the C/H, narrow boats dont do M.P.G, its Hours per Ltr and we average 1.25 hrs p/ltr, max speed on the canals is 4.mph but we usually pootle along at 2-3mph. On the rivers its 6mph. Locks can take 15-20mins per lock. Costs all depend on the length of your boat,our licence is £700 per year, ins £300 per year, gas £200, coal at £7 a bag, C/H half a ltr per hr plus maintainance.
Mooring is free on the canals but there are different limits put on staying times....it was my dream for nearly 30 years and I'm living it and spending the kids inheritence ha ha

Terry
14-Aug-2008, 11:55 PM

Very interesting, Terry. When you stay in a Marina, can you hook up to shore power, water, etc? Do you have to drain black and grey waste water into holding tanks and then dump at an approved facitilty? That's how it is with motorhomes here, despite the popular bumper sticker that says "Back off or I'll flush".

If you figure 3 mph, 1.25 hours per liter, you're getting about 16 miles per US gallon - pretty good for a 60' RV! I've seen one 60-foot motohome recently. It was a very professional-looking conversion on a retired "bendy bus" single-decker.

Nationwide, there's a height limit of 14 feet without a special permit for every trip, so the older highbridge double deckers would be a pain to manage if converted. I'm too old to spend the time doing a conversion, but a 30' Atlantean would have been interesting!

The current "double-talls", being introduced to Snohomish County (30 miles south of here) are Dennis buses and are just 14 feet high, 40' long and have twin rear axles.

My wife and I have talked about coming over for a month one summer and renting a narrow boat for a holiday, but we'll have to wait until no more pets. I'd really like to traverse the aqueduct on the Llangollen canal. One of my uncles did it many years ago, and it really was impressive, particularly on the side with no tow path - just about 1" thick cast iron between you and a 400' drop. Is that link still open?

Frank Damp

15-Aug-2008, 09:29 AM

Whilst on the subject, I have to say that I found a visit to the narrow boat museum at Ellesmere Port to be quite facinating and most enjoyable. I found the full-size mock-up of an old boat to be an eye-opener. How a family ever lived in the tiny , `kitchen`, with it`s open fire cooking range is a mystery.
My personal `treat` was the long boat trip from the museum and down through the locks into a River Mersey basin - great stuff.

Jim
15-Aug-2008, 08:36 PM

We paid to stay in a Marina last Christmas (well Nov- March) as I was still recovering from appendicitis, it made life a bit easier during the winter months. We had 'free' electric (included in the mooring fees really) and could connect up to a water tap nearby on the pontoon and empty our cassette toilet quite easily too.

The shower, toilet and laundry block was of no interest to us as it was at the other end of the marina, although we did use the laundry facilities once in our stay, we were able to wash our duvets before we left in March this year.
However, all this came at a price.....at £936 for 3months... it is definately not for the pensioners among us. £200 they said was for the electricity!! we dont have enough things onboard that would take that much power...so RUBY was lit up like 'Blackpool'every day with constant hot water available......certainly had our money's worth!!

The LLangollen is still a beautiful canal with amazing scenery and well worth the trip, at the end is a lovely little town to wander round. The canal itself was shallow, because it was busy I suppose. The aquaducts were terrifying, I let my wife steer then as could'nt bare to look form side to side let alone down!
Ellemere Port was good once we were there, the canal approaching it was alittle boring as it was mostly derilect industry sites. The view of the Manchester Ship Canal across to Liverpool was amazing too. We wandered around the port itself and could imagine what it must have been like when it was a thriving area.

Our previous boat was a traditional replica, with the tiny back cabin with its small range and tuck-away beds, we enjoyed staying in it when we had company onboard..but not for too long, as its no good if you are taller than 5ft nothing!! Bearing in mind how many children they sometimes had to cope with, it must have been a very tight fit, as thats all they had to live/sleep in.
We have all the rest of the 60ft to spread out in...and can still be short of storage room, but our motto has to be "if youve not worn something for that season then out it goes".

Terry
15-Aug-2008, 10:01 PM

This sounds most appealing - have you any recommendations regarding websites for boat sales ?