Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NoWcard - Places you can visit
15-Aug-2008, 11:18 PM

Frank, I hadn`t realised just how deeply the cost of fuel had hit the US leisure market until I read the following artical in the New York Times.
Quote, `Back in the glory days of guilt-free driving and dirt-cheap gas — say, around 2004 — motor home aficionados worshiped at the altar of size. Who cared if a 34-foot luxury R.V. got six miles to the gallon? Now, of course, things are different. A fill-up for a diesel-swilling movable McMansion might soon cross the $500 threshold. Credit is tight, the economy is concave, and motor home sales have tumbled each year since peaking in 2004; this year is shaping up to be the worst overall since 1992. Analysts are predicting that the R.V. industry has yet to hit bottom. But there is a ray of hope in the new wave of smaller motor homes and campers that can be towed by any car — like the Go. If this trend were a movie it would be called “Honey, I Shrunk the Camper.”

$500 plus for a fill-up! That`s enough to put anyone off. I run from `empty to empty`(in order to keep an acurate log of my petrol consumption - it`s something we did in business and I`ve continued with the system). The main thing I notice is that the £30`s are now £40`s when re-filling.

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-Aug-2008, 11:55 PM

See new thread in Any Other Business called "RV details"

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
16-Aug-2008, 06:34 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Spitfire

$500 plus for a fill-up! That`s enough to put anyone off. I run from `empty to empty`(in order to keep an acurate log of my petrol consumption - it`s something we did in business and I`ve continued with the system). The main thing I notice is that the £30`s are now £40`s when re-filling.

I don't usually let my tank get below a quarter full (primarily because my elderly mother lives the best part of 30 miles away and I never know when I might get an emergency call), but I agree with you, Jim, the price of filling up has gone up by a tenner. With the way food has gone up too, a trip to the supermarket to fill the family fridge and the petrol tank leaves little if any change from £100 these days.
16-Aug-2008, 06:45 PM

Running close to empty encourages any rubbish in the bottom of the petrol tank to get into the carburettor. I once "conked out" in the middle of France thanks to doing this so never again. Now the inbuilt computer tells me how many MPG I'm getting, usually around 48 on a motorway and just under 40 urban in my Renault 1.4 scenic. I used to fill it to the top but have been told that for economy reasions, and heaven knows we have to save anything where possible, you get fewer MPG with a full load.
16-Aug-2008, 07:40 PM

Sorry folks, please let me clarify what my definition of `empty` is. Empty to me is when the dashboard warning light comes on. That means that there are 9 litres remaining in the tank (if the handbook is to be believed). As you quite correctly point out - letting it run dry is just asking for trouble.

Jim
16-Aug-2008, 07:42 PM

There are hundreds of boat builders/marinas who sell new and second hand boats, we buy two magazines called Canal Boat, and Waterways World. (http://www.waterwaysworld.com)or (canalboat.co.uk)both these mags list hundreds of boat sales, most good news agents stock or can get them.
We had a bargain today we bought our diesil (red diesil) at 78p a litre, we have had to pay as much as 90+p at different marinas in the Midlands,red diesil has gone up over 40p a litre in the last twelve months and we loose our derigation in sept 08, so we will have to pay the same for red as you do for white, our tank is a small one only holds 110ltrs so we have to fill up quite regular, bearing in mind we have to run our engine at least 4 hrs a day whether we move or not, this is to keep the batteries topped up to keep the fridge/freezer,tv,computer etc going. Our friend has just filled up...it cost him £300 for 370lts!!!!!
We log on to a site called http://www.narrowboatworld, this is a very good site for all the latest news, plus in the email section you can have your say on any topic (moans and groans) to do with boating. I have been known to air my feelings on several subjects before now!!

Terry
17-Aug-2008, 10:16 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Spitfire

Sorry folks, please let me clarify what my definition of `empty` is. Empty to me is when the dashboard warning light comes on. That means that there are 9 litres remaining in the tank (if the handbook is to be believed). As you quite correctly point out - letting it run dry is just asking for trouble.

Jim, I know someone who actually does run his tank dry every time. He carries a gallon of petrol in his boot, when the engine stops due to lack of fuel, he pours the petrol in and buys another gallon.
He does this because he is the most miserable tight fisted person you could ever meet.
17-Aug-2008, 06:40 PM

I know someone who will only put petrol in her car on her Friday trip to the supermarket. If she unexpectedly needs to use the car more during the week, she will still hang on till Friday to fill up - she admits she'd rather run on fumes than vary the day she goes to the garage. She once went to pick up her son from central Manchester at 11pm with the guage showing zero - central Manchester late at night is not somewhere I'd risk running out of petrol as a lone female!
18-Aug-2008, 12:07 AM

A trick for better gas mileage is to fill up as soon after the garage opens in a morning as you can. The amount of energy in petrol is weight related, so when the petrol is the coldest, you get more energy in a gallon, which is a volume measurement.

Stickers have appeared on the pumps at our Costco which say "These pumps dispense gasoline in US gallons based on the standard of 231 cubic inches per gallon. There is no correction made for the temperature of the fuel."

Linda - we don't usually let the tank go below 1/4 full, because we live on an island and we'd be cut off if an earthquake took out the two bridges that connect us to the mainland. Even though there are two refineries on the island, most of the tankers that deliver to the gas stations are from the mainland. Our cheapest petrol in the region is at Costco, 20 miles away, but there is a big Chevron station just on the island, run by the native Swinomish tribe. Their price is usually within a cent or two of Costco's price. Last time I filled up it was $3.87 a gallon, down from $4.48 about a month ago. Using 3.8 liters to a gallon and $1.90 to the £, that works out to just under 54p/L.

There's another reason to keep the tank full. Most cars have steel fuel tanks, and the insides are not painted or plated. Wherever the steel is wet with fuel, air can't get to it. Where it's dry, moisture in the air space can cause the tank to go rusty.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
18-Aug-2008, 03:16 AM

Any rubbish or water in the fuel will already have found its way to the filters. The fuel pick is in the bottom of the tank and drains from there, it is'nt a floating pick up.
John