Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beijing Olympics
10-Aug-2008, 01:34 PM
Beijing Olympics
Well, we're a couple of days in and so far no mention of the Beijing Olympics - are we "not bovvered"?

Part of the difficulty in the UK is China being 7 hours ahead of us, so most events are taking place at night for us. I'm not that bothered about sport personally, but I am surprised at the BBC coverage - there's overnight live coverage, but the highlights show is only 1 hour per day.

I missed most of the opening ceremony because I was out at work, but caught the tail end. I was looking forward to seeing it on the highlights show, but they reduced a ceremony lasting well over 5 hours to less than half an hour. For me the opening and closing ceremonies are the best bits, so I feel [V]!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-Aug-2008, 03:46 PM

Team GB's first gold medal:
http://www.olympics.org.uk/beijing2008/News.aspx?id=2777
10-Aug-2008, 04:13 PM

I enjoy the track events mainly, but the ones we ( Great Britain) are strongest in are rowing, cycling, and yachting, all of which take part this week. Also the viewing hours are wrong for us. And we still seem to do silly things like our best gold medal prospect fails to meet the 60kg weight limit despite the director of boxing knowing he always struggled to meet that weight and would have been better in a higher catergory.
11-Aug-2008, 08:26 PM

The sheer delight on the faces of Nicole Cooke and Rebecca Adlington as they realised they had won gold for GB was heart warming, well done those girls.
11-Aug-2008, 10:44 PM

So Andy Murray loses in the first round to an unknown. It couldn`t have happened to a nicer man!!!!

Jim
14-Aug-2008, 07:18 PM

Front page of today's Guardian - Michael Phelps' daily diet:US swimmer Michael Phelps made history yesterday when he scooped a record-breaking 11th Olympic gold medal. He has now topped the podium five times in Beijing. After his latest victory, he revealed the secret behind his six-days-a-week, five-hours-a-day training regime: an extraordinary 12,000-calorie daily diet, six times the intake of a normal adult male. This is a typical day:[b][b]Breakfast

Phelps kick starts his day and his metabolism with three fried-egg sandwiches, but with a few customised additions: cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and, of course, mayonnaise.

Amuse-bouche out of the way, he throws back two cups of coffee and sits down to an omelette - containing five eggs - and a bowl of grits, a porridge of coarsely ground corn. He's not finished yet. Bring on the three slices of French toast, with powdered sugar on top to make sure there's no skimping on the calories. And to finish: three chocolate chip pancakes.

Lunch[/b]

With breakfast wearing off and the hunger pangs biting, Phelps downs half a kilogram - ie a whole packet - of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches. On white bread with loads of mayo on top. To remove any chance that his body will run out of fuel, he washes this down with about 1,000 calories of energy drink.

Dinner[/b]

Time to load up on carbs for the next day's training. Another half kilo of enriched pasta goes down the hatch with a chaser of an entire pizza and another 1,000 calories of energy drinks. And so to bed. As Phelps told US television channel NBC yesterday: "Eat, sleep and swim, that's all I can do."

I think he may be skimping on his fruit and veg - can't find five portions in there. He's probably too full! [:o)]
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/14/michaelphelps.swimming1
14-Aug-2008, 07:52 PM

I have not been watching the Olympics, but saw a clip from the opening ceremony of the lovely 9 year old singing solo - or rather miming the words to the song which had been pre-recorded by a 7 year old. Apparently the 7 year old was deemed 'not pretty enough' to stand before the crowds - what a farce!!
14-Aug-2008, 08:01 PM

Yep Smithy the little girl with the protruding teeth was not pretty enough. Good message to send to the world.
Dunlop.. I was looking forward to watching the opening ceremony but missed it I did look to see if it was going to be re-broadcast but could not find it.
I am not a big sports fan but I do enjoy seeing mixture of different countries winning medals.
I think it would take me a month to eat what Michael Phelps eat in one day. I wonder how good it is for his heart.
15-Aug-2008, 05:26 PM

He's certainly not getting 5 a day. And what's grits?
16-Aug-2008, 06:41 PM

It says in the article, Noel. Grits is a porridge of coarsely ground corn.

Well, I hadn't seen much of the Olympics until last night. But a stomach upset (bought a pasta salad for lunch yesterday - had ominous rumblings by evening) meant I was up all last night, so I watched Michael Phelps pick up (just!) his 7th gold of the games and Rebecca Addlington get her 2nd gold for Britain in the 800m freestyle. She blasted her competitors out of the water!