Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Houses on Fox lane
06-Jun-2009, 04:17 PM
Houses on Fox lane
I always wonder why there are 2 or 3 boarded up houses at the end of fox lane (opposite-ish the fox and Lion.

I have seen people going in/out of the houses but I cant imagine anyone lives in any of them.

Can anyone enlighten me?

http://www.leylandminiclub.com - All mini owners/enthusisasts welcome new & old
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
17-Feb-2019, 08:58 PM
RE: Houses on Fox lane
The top house opposite the Fox and Lion has just been up for sale by sealed bids.There were 2 open days prior to the placing of bids and most of the locals of Fox Lane went to view, including my brother who said it was like going back in time. The front room had been part of a shop with 3 other rooms behind, upstairs 3 rooms 1 used as a bathroom without the toilet which was in use out in the small back yard. There was no electricity in the house just the old gas mantle lights and all the original fire places. The house had been lived in until recently by the remaining Wilkinson sister who has moved to a new flat in Eccleston. The family had lived there for as long as I can remember, It was in 1962 when our house in Fox Lane had electric put in.

frank h.
Find all posts by this user
06-Mar-2019, 05:06 PM
Where is the house mentioned - at the Worden Lane end or the Seven Stars end? The "Fox and Lion" isn't a pub name I remember. I delivered papers for Dobson's newsagent, on their Fox Lane route, for a couple of years in my early teens. The deliveries between the Worden Lane end and the Infant School were done on foot, then the rest of the route, to a short distance west of the road into Wade Hall estate, was done on a bicycle.

Frank D.
06-Mar-2019, 08:46 PM
It is the Worden Lane end Frank, the "Bay Horse" is now called "The Fox and Lion" paying homage to the Lion brewery and Fox Lane. The house is on the left going down from Worden Lane, it now has a sold sign on it.

frank h.
07-Mar-2019, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Frank. Having been elsewhere (Coventry, then Wolverhampton, followed by Washington State USA, a brief time in Hampton (Virginia) and now in retirement in Anacortes WA, I haven't kept up with the changes in Leyland very well. My sister still lives there and one or two cousins. My brother has lived in Plymouth for a long time.

As I remember from my "paper boy" days at Dobson's, there were two or three houses in that block at the east end/south side of Fox Lane that were empty for a long time back then (1952-57).

Frank D.