Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
old school
28-Aug-2011, 01:27 PM

My grand-dad Aston used to have the garage on wigan road .......my mum and her sister used to serve the yanks with icecream during the war
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
28-Aug-2011, 04:40 PM

Which one, Pammy? The one in the dip between the Golf Club and Lancaster Lane or the one opposite the main gates of the ROF?

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
06-Dec-2011, 12:56 PM

Frank; Jimmy Tomlinson's daughter (and only child, I think) was called Jean and married Jack Bidwell, the fishmonger in Hough Lane, though they were divorced some years later.

I remember being on the Road Safety float in the Festival one year (I was about 6) with Jean Tomlinson as a lollypop lady showing me and our sister Jean across the "road".

CD
06-Dec-2011, 04:20 PM

The one in the dip Frank.
We used to have so much fun at Grandma and Grandad Aston's,

The gas jockies pumpng ths gas up into the gravity fill
pumps, the Motel area at the back .. with the chalet/cabins
and the big statues ... we used to take the walking stick out
of the Charlie Chaplin's hand and played with it.
The big green Cafe in the front yard (a lady and her daughter(evacuees) lived in there till some time after the war.
Playing tag with Pammy's cousins using the Bryning Brook tunnel
to cross Wigan Rd.
The row of trees that grew from the stakes that Grandad Aston
stuck into the ground to make a fence ... getting in trouble
for scrapeing the pebbles off of the stucco walls and best of all
... Grandma Aston's homemade sugar and raison cookies, which she kept for us kids in a big tin box ...Yum ...Remember those Pam?!!

T. D.
06-Dec-2011, 09:44 PM

Colin
Jimmy Tomlinson had two daughters, Jean was the younger Dorothy was the elder. Dorothy came to work in the Tomlinson office after the take over of Threlfalls on the death of young Jimmy Marsden who with his mother ran the firm. The take over co-insided with closing down the Church Road premises ready for the building of the CO-OP and market on the Towngate and Church Road corner. Tomlinsons carried on trading from the Farrington site of the old school/ Threlfall timber yard. The year was 1965 the year I became 21 and finished my aprentiship, they carried on trading at the site up until approx the year 2000.

frank h.
07-Dec-2011, 04:03 PM

It was Jean Tomlinson that was involved in the road safety stuff. The float in the parade that Colin mentioned was her idea. I was also on it, wearing a frame contraption to show I suffered a broken arm in an accident and a big bandage round my knee (on the outside of my trousers for some weird reason). She was primarily responsible for getting a National Society for the Protection of Child Cyclists training scheme going in Leyland. It was staffed mainly by the members of the Junior Accident Prevention team, along with a couple of adult advisors.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
08-Dec-2011, 08:48 PM

Jean was born the same day as me at Preston Royal!
Jerryt (of the Stationers, not the TimberYard side!)

Jerry Threlfall