Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
school days
14-Jan-2011, 03:40 AM

Back row, from the left:
Peter Anderson, James Deacon, Michael Pinder, John Lawton, ? Deacon, David Waring, Tom Dimock, Geoff Liptrot, Ian Lawrenson, Tony Mather, Jimmy Heald.
Next row from the left:
Winston Platt, Alan Wayne, John Waddecar, Geoff Demack, John Jameson, Michael Ainsworth, Bruce Greenlaw, Me, John Baker, David Parkinson.
Girls from the left:
Ann Bury, ?, Margaret Milloy, Jean Rawcliffe, Kathleen Platt, Jean Damp, Kathleen ?, Alison Logan, Cynthia Threlfall, Jean Tyrer, Jean Moffat.
Sitting on the grass:
Mabel Stackhouse, Jean Myers, Brenda ?

Notes:
John Lawton, a big noise in Global Warming, very quiet after the 2 coldest winters in memory, and the coldest summer inbetween.

Geoff Demack, retired accountant, a good man pilloried for speaking the truth when in local politics.

John Baker, son of Baker's chemist's.

David Parkinson, hit by a stroke years ago and paralysed, I don't know if he's still alive.

Jean Damp, Alan's sister. Became a midwife and delivered my first born.

Cynthia Threlfall, in a nursing home in Longton for many years.

Kathleen Platt, her dad had the metal working shop in the ginnel next to Fox Lane school. His skills were legendary.

Anybody have further news?

John
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
14-Jan-2011, 04:27 PM

Close, John. Jean was actually a nursery nurse at Chorley Hospital and subsequently became an entry-grade teacher in a Preston school. Kathleen Platt lives in Canada someplace. Last we heard (Eileen was a close friend) they were in the Toronto area. Her husband is in the oil industry.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
15-Jan-2011, 01:45 AM

I guess Jean was doing her training. It was in 1963.
John
19-Jan-2011, 12:52 PM

I went to Fox lane infants briefly in 1991ish and I remember the outdoor toilets too!
26-Jan-2011, 03:57 PM

quote:

Originally posted by brian

I think the fourth boy from the left on the back row is John Lawton who became a professor in some biological subject. His younger brother, David, was in the same class as me.
I attended Fox Lane infants from 1950 then moved to the Junior school. At the infant school I remember a big rocking horse but I cant remember ever having a ride on it. I also remember the outside toilets. The headmaster at Fox Lane Junior School was Mr Fenton and one of the teachers was Mr. Young. I remember one of the tasks was to weave a kettle holder with wool on a piece of cardboard. I also remember learning to write with a pen and ink. The ink was extremely watery and full of bits. The pen nibs were scratchy and I am amazed that we learned to write with these primitive materials. Another memory was playing for the school football team. I replied some time ago reporting on the fact that I wore clogs for a while whilst attending the junior school. Regards to all, Brian Forshaw

26-Jan-2011, 03:58 PM

yes it is Ann Bury at the end of the row ( left )
26-Jan-2011, 04:17 PM

wow i found me .........on the woodlea site ........photo gallery 1..50s and 60s set 3....3rd pic along on the top ....im sat to jean damps right..hehe my spectacular ribbons in my hair as per usual lol
19-Feb-2011, 01:58 AM

quote:

Originally posted by rocketmanjohn

Back row, from the left:
Peter Anderson, James Deacon, Michael Pinder, John Lawton, ? Deacon, David Waring, Tom Dimock, Geoff Liptrot, Ian Lawrenson, Tony Mather, Jimmy Heald.
Next row from the left:
Winston Platt, Alan Wayne, John Waddecar, Geoff Demack, John Jameson, Michael Ainsworth, Bruce Greenlaw, Me, John Baker, David Parkinson.
Girls from the left:
Ann Bury, ?, Margaret Milloy, Jean Rawcliffe, Kathleen Platt, Jean Damp, Kathleen ?, Alison Logan, Cynthia Threlfall, Jean Tyrer, Jean Moffat.
Sitting on the grass:

Notes:
John Lawton, a big noise in Global Warming, very quiet after the 2 coldest winters in memory, and the coldest summer inbetween.

Geoff Demack, retired accountant, a good man pilloried for speaking the truth when in local politics.

David Parkinson, hit by a stroke years ago and paralysed, I don't know if he's still alive.

Kathleen Platt, her dad had the metal working shop in the ginnel next to Fox Lane school. His skills were legendary.

John

19-Feb-2011, 02:06 AM

quote:

Originally posted by gwild1212

quote:

Originally posted by rocketmanjohn

Back row, from the left:
Next row from the left:
Girls from the left:
Sitting on the grass:

Notes:

John

15-Mar-2011, 02:04 PM

When I was at Fox Lane schools, the head of St Andrew's infants was a Miss Holden, reception class teacher Mrs Prendergast (mother of singer Glynis), remedial teacher Mrs Demack (mother of the Demack brothers) and the middle class was taught by a thin austere woman called Miss Smith, who I think was a relative of the Smith half of the Chorley auctioneers Smithe & Hodgkinson.

At the juniors, it was Mrs Jephtha in 1a, Miss Marsden (of the builders' family, who became Mrs Young)in 1b, Miss Rawlinson 2a, Mrs Gittings (nee Walmsley of the sweet shop in Hough Lane) in 2b, Mr Young 3a, Mrs Salisbury 3b, Miss Wane 4a and Mr Stephenson 4b. Roy Hewartson "floated" teaching geography and PE/Games. The head was indeed the avuncular (if sometimes heavy-handed) Mr Fenton, who died of s heart attack in the summer holidays after I left for Balshaws (1961).

Someone mentioned John Lawton. Actually he's now Professor Sir John Lawton CBE FRS!!!

CD