Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fishwicks bus closure
13-Dec-2018, 12:09 AM
RE: Fishwicks bus closure
You folks in Leyland are lucky to have such good bus services. Here in Anacortes we have just one hourly service that goes from our neighborhood via the ferry terminal, though Anacortes town center and out to a transfer station about 6 miles out east of town. There's a connecting service from there into Mount Vernon, our closest city, which is on Interstate 5, the main freeway between San Diego and the Canadian border. There are pretty good services from Mount Vernon to other towns in the county, plus express rush-hour services to Everett (55 miles away) and Bellingham (about 45 miles). I was driving for the transit company when those expresses started up. I was a relief driver, taking over other's routes if they were off work for some reason. My nightmare was having a relief job one day that ended at 22:00 and having the morning express to Everett the next day. It started at 04:30 - a short night's sleep for an old guy!

The good thing is that for us old folks, the fare is 50 cents to ride all day with transfers ($2.00 on the expresses). Needless to say, it's a Government agency (Skagit County) that runs it.

Frank D.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-Dec-2018, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 15-Dec-2018 12:27 PM by Bill.)
(13-Dec-2018 12:09 AM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  You folks in Leyland are lucky to have such good bus services. Here in Anacortes we have just one hourly service that goes from our neighborhood via the ferry terminal, though Anacortes town center and out to a transfer station about 6 miles out east of town. There's a connecting service from there into Mount Vernon, our closest city, which is on Interstate 5, the main freeway between San Diego and the Canadian border. There are pretty good services from Mount Vernon to other towns in the county, plus express rush-hour services to Everett (55 miles away) and Bellingham (about 45 miles). I was driving for the transit company when those expresses started up. I was a relief driver, taking over other's routes if they were off work for some reason. My nightmare was having a relief job one day that ended at 22:00 and having the morning express to Everett the next day. It started at 04:30 - a short night's sleep for an old guy!

The good thing is that for us old folks, the fare is 50 cents to ride all day with transfers ($2.00 on the expresses). Needless to say, it's a Government agency (Skagit County) that runs it.

Frank D.

Not all of Leyland has a good, or even adequate bus service. The stretch of Leyland Lane between Seven Stars has only the reprieved 113, an hourly service that ceases around 7pm and doesn't run at all on Sundays. It takes such a circuitous route to Preston, through Bamber Bridge, Hoghton and Higher Walton that it can take almost an hour to get there from the Broadfield Arms. The journey from Wigan to Preston must take almost 2 hours. As for getting to Chorley, for hospital appointments and the like, residents in the west of Leyland have to catch 2 buses, either walking to Seven Stars for the 111 to Tesco or catching the aforementioned 113, which as stated, is only an hourly service.

This deterioration in the level of service has of course followed the demise of Fishwicks. Stagecoach are interested only in profitable routes but there should be an obligation on private companies to 'take the rough with the smooth', i.e.accept that some routes will run at a loss, whilst others make a healthy profit, just as Royal Mail have an obligation to deliver mail to outlying rural areas, the losses being more than offset by profitable delivery routes.

On the plus side, thanks to Gordon Brown (God Bless him), us older citizens receive free bus travel for most of each weekday and all weekend, though how long that will continue is another matter...
15-Dec-2018, 05:04 PM
Bill:

I appreciate that not all of Leyland and surrounding areas have good bus service. I was spoiled while growing up as we lived in a house across from the parish church that became the doctor's surgery after my folks sold it (number 7 Church Road) and were within a short distance from the Cross and the War Memorial. The 109, 111, 113, 298 services were all just a few steps away. Even the 112 Coppull route wasn't far away. It came to Church Road via Balcarres Road, then headed east towards Wigan Road.

After we emigrated to the US, I remember from some home visits that Fishwicks had a number of smaller Mercedes buses that did routes through Wade Hall and Broadfield estates and other areas without the main-line services. They met up with the main services at Earnshaw Bridge, Seven Stars, the Cross and the Gasworks I assume they disappeared with Fishwick's demise.

Frank Damp
15-Dec-2018, 09:34 PM
You would think that the layout of Leyland could lend its self to a figger of eight bus service, reaching the main shopping areas and train station.Who would be responsable for new bus stops and licenses for any new routes? may be the cost could put people off. We here in Wigan have just opened a new bus station similar in design to the one at Chorley, this has been payed for by Gr Manchester transport authority. Bus stops and shelters in Wigan are also maintaned by them. Also the Gr Manchester bus pass allowed me to travel to Manchester Airport and back on the train after 9-30am, it saves one a great deal of money.

frank h.
Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Wigan and Greater Manchester are labour strongholds Frank. They seem to have more idea of what we plebs need. Lancashire County Council seems constantly in a civil war. Probably too busy fire fighting... they've reopened libraries thlseat were closed probably a political move but what else.. Using a bus pass on the train brilliant. The tories even wanted to stop our heating allo wance and was only stopped by the DUP making a condition of its support, keeping the allowance. I don't normally make political comments sitting on the fence as I do but that's how it seems to me.
Today, 01:20 AM
(15-Dec-2018 05:04 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Bill:

I appreciate that not all of Leyland and surrounding areas have good bus service. I was spoiled while growing up as we lived in a house across from the parish church that became the doctor's surgery after my folks sold it (number 7 Church Road) and were within a short distance from the Cross and the War Memorial. The 109, 111, 113, 298 services were all just a few steps away. Even the 112 Coppull route wasn't far away. It came to Church Road via Balcarres Road, then headed east towards Wigan Road.

After we emigrated to the US, I remember from some home visits that Fishwicks had a number of smaller Mercedes buses that did routes through Wade Hall and Broadfield estates and other areas without the main-line services. They met up with the main services at Earnshaw Bridge, Seven Stars, the Cross and the Gasworks I assume they disappeared with Fishwick's demise.

Frank Damp

Yes Frank, I thought the 'Fishkwick' (sp? ) buses were an excellent idea but they disappeared quite a few years before Fishwicks' demise, presumably as they were unprofitable.