Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What strange weather
16-Oct-2017, 07:52 PM
RE: What strange weather
(15-Oct-2017 11:28 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  John:

We've been "dog people" for a long time. We got our first female yellow Lab when Eileen was expecting our first daughter, whose 52nd birthday was last week. We had to leave her with my brother when we emigrated, since Boeing didn't pay for pet movements. We had one "thoroughbred" mongrel who lived 18 years. Then back to Labs. Our latest one is number 6. The last three were rescues - one from the local Humane Society and the other two through Seattle Pure-breed Rescue Society. The first one was 6 years old at adoption, the second was 8 and this one turned 9 a week after she joined us. She's the most active and healthy-looking of the three.

Noel - it's a long time since we visited Grange, probably in 1965 or so, after getting married but before emigration in '68!

Frank

Are there 'banned breeds' of dog in the States like there are here Frank? Pitbulls are banned in the UK, not sure what else.

John
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
16-Oct-2017, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 16-Oct-2017 09:36 PM by anacortesdamp.)
I don't think so, John. Pit-bulls are common here - our second grand-daughter has two of them, but she's in the kennel/dog training business and says they're just great dogs. She lives in Montana, two states east of us, so we've never met them. I suspect that there's a hidden ban on some breeds, imposed by insurance companies that do home-owner liability insurance, but nothing government-imposed.

Frank
17-Oct-2017, 09:10 AM
any dog can be dangerous trained the wrong way. Staffs have a bad name in some people's eyes but they can be as soft as can be. They get called a nanny dog as they'r noted for guarding young children in a family. My border terrier chased one out of the room when i was taking him to training sessions as a puppy. The staff, twice as big as Ben , was terrified. I never went again.
18-Oct-2017, 06:05 PM
(17-Oct-2017 09:10 AM)noel Wrote:  any dog can be dangerous trained the wrong way. Staffs have a bad name in some people's eyes but they can be as soft as can be. They get called a nanny dog as they'r noted for guarding young children in a family. My border terrier chased one out of the room when i was taking him to training sessions as a puppy. The staff, twice as big as Ben , was terrified. I never went again.

That's true Noel - I had a staffie a few years ago and she was lovely with people and other dogs........used to limit herself to 'fighting' with the mastiff which I also had at the time. I'd like another.
My partner was looking at Battersea Dogs online a few weeks ago and saw a saluki which needed rehoming. She really wanted it until I did a bit of research and found that salukis will chase anything that moves - not good with the numbers of dogs exercised on the common behind our house.
Do you remember Barry Lloyd in Farington, who used to go everywhere accompanied by a trembly whippet?

John
19-Oct-2017, 03:59 PM
I remember the name John but can't visualise at the moment. My youngest son has a Staff and you can literally do anything with him, he's so friendly. I wouldn't trust my border as much. it's like there's a switch in his head at times that says kill usually when he is near a dog that's big enough to eat him, German Shepherd in particular.
19-Oct-2017, 08:46 PM
(19-Oct-2017 03:59 PM)noel Wrote:  I remember the name John but can't visualise at the moment. My youngest son has a Staff and you can literally do anything with him, he's so friendly. I wouldn't trust my border as much. it's like there's a switch in his head at times that says kill usually when he is near a dog that's big enough to eat him, German Shepherd in particular.

I never thought border terriers had a temper! It's funny watching all the dogs meeting round here.......the big ones couldn't give a monkeys but the terriers, all strutting round each other, bristling and posturing. Fortunately it never reaches the fighting stage.
I was bitten on the hand by a shepherd in summer. It was trying to get at a dog we were looking after for a while and I got between em......3 hours in A&E for my trouble!

John
20-Oct-2017, 09:48 AM
Ouch wouldn't fancy fending one of those off. The borders have little man syndrome John. The type Adolf Hitler suffered with.
20-Oct-2017, 10:58 PM
(20-Oct-2017 09:48 AM)noel Wrote:  Ouch wouldn't fancy fending one of those off. The borders have little man syndrome John. The type Adolf Hitler suffered with.

Ha ha! All noise and posing.
How's your dog with fireworks Noel? We had the first bangs last night but fortunately the noise doesn't bother ours very much. Until Feb this year we also had a yellow lab who was terrified........we fixed her up with a tight-fitting 'thunder shirt' which helped a bit (and showed off her figure a treat!).

John
21-Oct-2017, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 21-Oct-2017 10:33 AM by noel.)
Fireworks don't bother him at all John. I've had 4 dogs since I returned to the north ( spent 10 years down in Wiltshire, lovely part of England) and none has shown any concerns over them. Back to the weather, storm Brian today, quite breezy out there, my wife has taken a few of her scout group to Blackpool, gang show, Seaworld then Harry Ramsdens, fish and chips at £10.95, think I'd certainly think twice at those prices. It should be quite bracing walking along the sea front.

Incidentally there is a Barry Loyd on Facebook, Farington went to Wellfield School, presume that's the same one. I certainly recall the name but there were a few Barrys, Hill, Holmes, Hibbert, Douglas I get them mixed up after such a long time.
22-Oct-2017, 09:54 PM
(21-Oct-2017 10:28 AM)noel Wrote:  Fireworks don't bother him at all John. I've had 4 dogs since I returned to the north ( spent 10 years down in Wiltshire, lovely part of England) and none has shown any concerns over them. Back to the weather, storm Brian today, quite breezy out there, my wife has taken a few of her scout group to Blackpool, gang show, Seaworld then Harry Ramsdens, fish and chips at £10.95, think I'd certainly think twice at those prices. It should be quite bracing walking along the sea front.

Incidentally there is a Barry Loyd on Facebook, Farington went to Wellfield School, presume that's the same one. I certainly recall the name but there were a few Barrys, Hill, Holmes, Hibbert, Douglas I get them mixed up after such a long time.

The waves at Blackpool must have been spectacular, hope they came back intact. That's one of the things I miss living here - not Blackpool, but the coast. Our nearest is the south coast, around 3 hours drive.

I vaguely remember Barry Hibbert, or at least the name. Was he at Farington school?
It's a shame I'm not on Facebook so I can't look in on Lloydy. I used to be but packed it in because of their hosting extremists, weirdos and other tripe! Perhaps I exaggerate.......