Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Member.
06-Nov-2018, 02:08 PM
New Member.
Hi, and thanks Admin for letting me join.
I'm not a 'born' Leylander, but moved here in the late 70s when I married my 'Leyland Lass'.
Working, together with starting and bringing up a family, I never took much notice of the history of the town until recently. Now I particularly like looking at old pictures of the town.
I notice that there have been conversations on here about members photos and a gallery. Does this exist?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-Nov-2018, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-Nov-2018 05:21 PM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: New Member.
I did things the other way round. I was born and raised in Leyland, met and subsequently married a Leyland native. Four years later we emigrated to the US with two children and had two more over here. I retired here in 1998 after almost 30 years with Boeing.

We've lived in the seaside town of Anacortes, Washington State, for the last 19 years. It's about 50 straight-line miles from the border with Canada (80 or so driving miles), on Fidalgo Island. we're connected to mainland WA by a bridge. The other San Juan Islands have ferry service from a terminal about half a mile from our house.

Our three daughters and their children all live in Washington also, except for one grandson living in New York City. Our son lives in Chiba-shi, Japan with his wife and their one daughter. My sister, Jean, still lives in Leyland. My brother Colin lives in Plymouth.

Welcome to the forum. It's a lot quieter now than it used to be.

Frank Damp
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
10-Nov-2018, 12:24 PM
Welcome David new member, I had a business in Leyland for 25 years after leaving The Motors when they went bottom up, living in Langton close I remember the Nelsons there on the end, I left Leyland aged 66 and retired to Crete, now aged 79 I am reaping the benefits of the life in the Mediterranean sun, never to return but have happy memories of Leyland, my maternal family are also old Leylanders the Nixon Family, My cousins are still living there Eric, Frank and Susan.

djh
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Dave H for this post
10-Nov-2018, 05:07 PM
Dave:

That Nixon family were friends of our family through our membership in Turpin Green Methodist Church. I married a young lady from another Nixon family, not related to Ron's. Her folks ran a green-grocer's shop at 90 Hough Lane. Her Dad was originally from a small Staffordshire village called Wood Lane.

We're a long way away now, living in retirement in a small seaside town called Anacortes, in Washington State, USA. The story of our town's name is that the original postmaster, who founded it, named it after his wife, Annie Curtis

My sister, Jean, still lives in Leyland. My brother, Colin, lives in Plymouth.

Frank D.
10-Nov-2018, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-Nov-2018 06:33 PM by Seajay.)
(09-Nov-2018 05:14 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  I did things the other way round. I was born and raised in Leyland, met and subsequently married a Leyland native. Four years later we emigrated to the US with two children and had two more over here. I retired here in 1998 after almost 30 years with Boeing.

We've lived in the seaside town of Anacortes, Washington State, for the last 19 years. It's about 50 straight-line miles from the border with Canada (80 or so driving miles), on Fidalgo Island. we're connected to mainland WA by a bridge. The other San Juan Islands have ferry service from a terminal about half a mile from our house.

Our three daughters and their children all live in Washington also, except for one grandson living in New York City. Our son lives in Chiba-shi, Japan with his wife and their one daughter. My sister, Jean, still lives in Leyland. My brother Colin lives in Plymouth.

Welcome to the forum. It's a lot quieter now than it used to be.

Frank Damp

Hi Frank.
Thanks for your welcoming response.

I've read some of the stuff you've put on over the last few years, and thought you were probably related to Colin and Jean. I don't know them but I have come across them on the Facebook page 'Leyland Memories'. Colin is a very good mine of information in regard to the history of the town and the businesses owned by the Damps.
I don't know if there is a problem with this site, but over the last two years I have made about three attempts to join, before being accepted.Smile

All forums are probably quieter now Frank, due to the more popular social mediums such as FB and Twitter.

To go back to my original question .... Has a Gallery of photos ever been created on here - I can't find a link in the menus?
11-Nov-2018, 05:18 PM
Hi Chris. There was a gallery some years ago. I might be able to find the photos from backups, but it will probably take a while.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to admin for this post
11-Nov-2018, 05:24 PM
There's a few photos on the Internet Archive

https://web.archive.org/web/200605072027...n.info:80/

Old website
[+] 1 user says Thank You to admin for this post
14-Nov-2018, 01:38 AM
(11-Nov-2018 05:24 PM)admin Wrote:  There's a few photos on the Internet Archive

https://web.archive.org/web/200605072027...n.info:80/

Old website

Thank you.
Unfortunately there are very few pictures there, and I think almost all of the links are out of date and not available. ( I used Google Chrome and Internet explorer.)