Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
23-Jun-2002, 11:38 AM

quote:

Wilkie can't have been all that bad, I never did well in maths at Balshaws, but just a year or two later I ended up teaching maths to the dimmos in my year at Harris 'Tec while the lecturer got on with the rest of the class. I never failed a year at the 'Tec so some of Wilkies lessons must have sunk in. I remember well that he always wrote in bright green ink.

That explains why he didn't mind Lady G's green ink. I always liked Wilkie, I got kicked out of A stream maths into C stream in the fifth year he taught the C stream. He took me from potentially failing O level to getting a high pass level, later in the 6th I passed Pure Maths with another high grade. Sadly Mr. Bennison couldn't instill any interest at all in chemistry and I failed that though went on to become a chemist later.

The significant owl hoots in the night.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
24-Jun-2002, 06:01 AM

I think Bennison was the one who didn't like my ink.Grrh!!!!!
He told me I was a troublemaker always wanting to be different.He was probably right though.
Can't understand it really because I was sooooo quiet. VUO told me I was dreaming if I wanted to teach as I was too inward looking and would be better off in the mills.Wish I could tell him I made it despite him.He really got my dander up with that.
[Sad][Sad][Sad][Sad][Sad][Sad].[Sad][Sad][Sad]
24-Jun-2002, 06:03 AM

Pleased to see you are back,Brian.What a great job you have-real missionary work.
25-Jun-2002, 12:49 AM

Actually, Brian, could have done with some one like you when all these teachers were getting at me.There were no counsellors then to help students with their traumas.We just suffered in silence.Even prefects could stand in judgement and had their own little court.
Now the pendulum has swung too far and kids know they have the upper hand.
I bet you would have approved of my ink.At least I did the work.It wasn't like Wilky's green but a lovely turquoisy colour.Those were the days when you carried your ink bottle around with you.
Sea Green is Good-Blue is Bad.[Sad!][Sad!]
25-Jun-2002, 07:26 AM

Actually, Brian, fountain pens, blotting paper and ink were a good source of fun.1001 things you can do with etc.
25-Jun-2002, 09:25 AM

quote:

I bet you would have approved of my ink.At least I did the work.It wasn't like Wilky's green but a lovely turquoisy colour.Those were the days when you carried your ink bottle around with you.
Sea Green is Good-Blue is Bad.

Petty bureaucracy innit. I remember Rodney Blackhurst being sent home for wearing his hair too long. And if you were seen without a cap coming to school big trouble!!! Looking at the lengths of the girls' skirts these days I'm surprised they are allowed in. The fashion seems to be to mini skirts with long socks coming above the knee.
Wish I were still at school.

25-Jun-2002, 10:31 PM

Congrats Noel as you near your century.Don't worry I'll let you stay ahead.My sister comes out here in 4 weeks so will be too busy talking.
Cheers.
25-Jun-2002, 10:42 PM

Re short skirts.At my first teaching post one of my extra- curricular activities was to have all the girls kneel down while myself and another teacher measured the length of their skirts above the ground with a ruler.And that was a girls' school.
I hated doing it and couldn't help remembering our gymslips about 6 inches from the ground as we would grow into them.I wore my first gymslip for about 5 years and even then it wasn't short.
Can't even think about the huge bloomers we wore for gym.You could cover your head with them if they were pulled up sufficiently.
26-Jun-2002, 12:45 AM

quote:

Congrats Noel as you near your century.Don't worry I'll let you stay ahead.My sister comes out here in 4 weeks so will be too busy talking.
Cheers.

Hi Lady Griffin, wondered what you meant then, my 100th post. Gosh how observant you are.
Lostock Hall Carnival approaches on the 6th July , I'm going to get a few photos if you are interested.

26-Jun-2002, 03:53 AM

Thanks,Noel.Great stuff.Do you have a digital camera.If so you could send them via dot.com.Am not advanced enough for those things yet but know how to receive them.
My aunt who has recently passed away lived on Leyland Rd right across from the Tardy shops.She always had a great view.
One of my many great nieces was a carnival princess last year.
Cheers.By the way I shall be shouting you all a boddies when I come over to get my two free ones.It could be some time yet so don't hold your breaths.
LG