Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
07-Jan-2019, 09:00 PM
RE: Balshaw's Grammar School
US workers don't get the 26th of December as a day off. Their equivalent is a 4-day weekend in November, known as "Thanksgiving". It's essentially a holiday to celebrate the end of the harvesting period and dates back to the time there was a lot more agricultural business in the US. Churches are decorated with harvest-related things, like sheaves of wheat and boxes of apples. Churches in some more industrial cities will include products from their local industries. I've never seen a full-size 747 at a local church around Washington, though.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-Jan-2019, 04:32 PM
It's like our harvest festival service where back in the days when I used to go to church, boxes of food were taken into church I remember loaves of bread that were fashioned as wheat sheaf. I believe these were distributed afterwards to the elderly. These days the elderly still work out at the gym. How times change
09-Feb-2019, 11:49 PM
Yes, Noel, there are lots of similarities between UK Harvest Festival services and US Thanksgiving services. The major difference is that Thanksgiving is on the same day every year. The date varies slightly year to year as it's on a specific day, the fourth Thursday in November. Some churches have a special service that morning and it's a national holiday so folks aren't going to work. Since we aren't church-goers any more, I don't know how well those services are attended.

It's a big day for family reunions. Last year the three of our children living relatively locally all came for a meal, along with spouses, significant "others" and children. I think there were 18 of us altogether. The meal, usually a late afternoon dinner, has a very similar menu to the UK Christmas dinner, with a roasted turkey as the main protein.

It tends to mess up Christmas celebrations, as it's very close on the calendar - only 5 weeks before.

Frank

Frank