Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Golf Stories
18-Dec-2004, 03:28 AM
Golf Stories
Considering that Leyland has a very nice golf course right there on the A49, I'm amazed that no one on this page ever mentions playing a round of golf there, or for that matter anywhere else.
I've played Leyland on several occasions, even finished third in a senior tournament a couple of years ago there, won 60 pounds, a bottle of Scotch, and a sleeve of golf balls. Not bad for not knowing the course that well.
Charnock Richard is another fine golf course just down the road a few miles. Played there a few times too, I once beat the Mens Club captain on his own course there, Bill Trelfall, anybody know him ? Nice guy, Bill and I started our apprenticeship together at English Electric, Strand Road, back in 1953. I got aquainted with him again when the Leyland Diamonds youth soccer team visited California, back in 1981.
Can I assume that there are no golfers on this page then ?
Quote this message in a reply
18-Dec-2004, 08:00 AM

My son is a golf pro( down in Weston-Super-Mare) but I don't know the first thing about golf so I don't suppose that counts LOL
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
18-Dec-2004, 08:37 AM

Love to play golf Dave, I,m just too inconsistant. I only started playing regularly this year, which means at least once a week. We have five par threes & four full length courses around town so lots of choices. Today I shot 68 on one of the par threes which is par 56 so I,m not in your class but I do enjoy it. Prices here range from $16 par three to $60 full length. I just picked up a John Daley Hipo for $19:95 now all I have to do is learn how to use it.
18-Dec-2004, 09:38 AM

I was a member at Leyland for many years until a problem with my shoulder put paid to that!
Did you know David, that the old club-house burnt down a few years ago and has been replaced with a new two storey one? Perhaps you already know that because I have a memory of you saying that you had borrowed some clubs - was that on your last visit?

Jim
18-Dec-2004, 07:09 PM

Jim; The day I won the senior tournament at Leyland was the official opening day of the new clubhouse. Actually I should say WE won the tournament, because it was a two man, better ball game. I partnered with a guy, Bill (Bud) Abbott, who lives on Walton View ?? We had played footy together for Atkinsons Vehicles.
Last Tuesday both Doris and I were playing in different golf tournament, she at her club, Upland Hills, and me at my senior club, Mountain Meadows....incredibly we both won the tournaments !! I wonder if that was some kind of record [Big Grin]
Bryan; We're all in the same boat when it comes to inconsistency, not only is it a day to day game, but a hole to hole game. I once played a round with my wife and shot a terrible 49 on the front, but a wonderful 37 on the back, I still can't figure out why I went from so bad to so good [}Smile][}Smile] And Bryan, that par 56 course must have two par 4's on it [?] 18 x 3 = 54 [B)]
As you may know, I work two afternoon's a week at a 9 hole, exectutive, par 31 course...five par 3's, and four par 4's...take a quick look....you'll see the wonderful scenery around it on the opening page.
http://www.claremontgolf.com I've been there for a little over six years now, love it. If you're ever in the area, drop me an e-mail and I'll get with you for a round [8D]
18-Dec-2004, 10:54 PM

David, What terrific settings for a golf course. With views like that, why let a bad golf day spoil a good walk? [Tongue]
Ladies day - Wednesdays only????????????? What happened to equality. LOL

(I wonder if my latest model(see `testing`, `getting better...` on the forum) is a familiar site in your part of the world)

Jim
19-Dec-2004, 07:14 AM

Thanks Dave, I hope to take you up on that in the not too distant future. Your course looks and sounds great. One of my favourites can be viewed at cultuslakegolf and I would love to show it to you when your in this part of the world. It,s 10 minutes down the road and is open 365 days.
19-Dec-2004, 05:22 PM

Jim; That's brilliant, our freeways are full of them, some of them are works of art.
Bryan; I tried to find the golf course you mentioned...does it have a URL ??
20-Dec-2004, 09:02 AM

I was a member at Shaw Hill in my youth. One day my friend and I had completed a round and decided to play a game of snooker, they had just 1 full size table.
There was a game playing and one pair waiting so we put our names on the board and duly waited our turn. About 40 minutes later it was our turn. We got up ready to set the balls on their spots when in walked 3 "gentlemen" obviously expecting to play right away.
"Surely you're not going to play before the captain of the club" said one of them whose name I never knew.
We were subsequently removed from the table and I vowed never again to get involved with the snobbery of the Shaw Hill Golf Club.
20-Dec-2004, 02:59 PM

Noel; I know what you mean. Although nothing on that line has ever happened to me, I am a friend of a member at Ashton & Lea where, until recently, they had a sign posted banning women from the main clubhouse area. And that same member, playing with my wife and I over here one day, and he keeping the scores, when asked by my wife what she had shot answered "I don't know, I didn't keep your score." Such arrogance !