Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
St Marys High School
24-Jul-2002, 09:12 PM

quote:

why is no one from st marys posting on here anymore?

i can resist everything except temptation

Steve I really do wish somebody would post more about St. Mary's .
The school was always intriguing to me as a youngster.
It was a time when one got seperated from one's catholic friends and I didn't like that it seemed to me like some sort of segregation.
In fact I have never approved of religion doing this sort of thing or should I say being an instrument for these things.
I don't know what era you are the only person I can remember off the top of my head is Kathleen Palin who lived up East St. Farington back in the fifties. Let's hope somebody gets a thread like the Balshaw's one going.

The significant owl hoots in the night.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
26-Jul-2002, 12:47 AM

I went to St Marys School but haven't really got much to say about it. Perhaps I should pay another visit to Friends Reunited and start the email campaign again.

[img]martinsig.gif[/img]
In The Pink

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-Jul-2002, 09:54 AM

quote:

I went to St Marys School but haven't really got much to say about it. Perhaps I should pay another visit to Friends Reunited and start the email campaign again.

[img]martinsig.gif[/img]
In The Pink

I don't even know where the school is Martin, is there a junior and senior side to it?
Was it opposite L&B on Golden Hill Lane where the school dinners were prepared?

26-Jul-2002, 02:33 PM

Noel
the High school was down near worden park, off Fox Lane. I think there was a junior school on School lane opposite L&B but I didn't go to that one.

[img]martinsig.gif[/img]
In The Pink

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-Jul-2002, 05:51 PM

quote:

the High school was down near worden park, off Fox Lane. I think there was a junior school on School lane opposite L&B but I didn't go to that one.

St Mary's is on Royal Avenue. During my early years at St Mary's we used to go to the school on School Lane for sports - memories of horrible green 'huts' used for changing rooms. I think it was before the allweather pitch and sports hall was built at St Mary's, but even after completion the allweather pitch was usually flooded!

JohnH

JohnH
26-Jul-2002, 08:43 PM

It's one of these schools that's tucked awy off the beaten track.
I never knew where Worden High was either till I met my to be wife who spent 5 unhappy years there.
She said the best thing was singing "Balshaw's bull-dogs sitting on the wall" you all know the rest.
The junior school must have closed then, there is a school on School Lane ( surprise) that's been turned into a children's nursery now.
Wonder why the junior school closed.??

19-Dec-2002, 12:00 PM

what were you like at school martin? will have to ask your mum to see pics!

Love and LightHayley
21-Dec-2002, 05:36 AM

Kath Smith,
I think I remember you, Blonde hair and glasses, anyway those teachers names shot me right back into the late 70's, I was the first boy to get caned off Joe Clarke (with Ian Sharples), I hung around with Joe Breen, Ian Waring, Mark Warmsley, Mark Thomas, Stephen Watson, Paul Langan, Linda Courtney, Caroline Bass, Helen Blackledge and some others, Do you remember Miss Phillips (physics)who committed suicide?
27-Dec-2002, 03:39 AM

Hi Martin and friends. I havn't a lot to say about St. Marys as I only started 1st and I was only 1 month. Then I went to Spain...I would like somebody from my classes if they remember me to put thereselves in contact. It was the first class in 1990...I came from St. catherines primary school.

Richard Fairley
27-Dec-2002, 03:42 AM

Hi Martin and friends. I havn't a lot to say about St. Marys as I only started 1st and I was only 1 month. Then I went to Spain...I would like somebody from my classes if they remember me to put thereselves in contact. It was the first class in 1990...I came from St. catherines primary school. OOOHHHH and thanks for the website of St. mary's

Richard Fairley