Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Preston North End 2005-2006 Chat
08-Aug-2005, 11:02 PM

Clean your specs Noel, there's no 'edited' there.
You football hooligan you.
Quote this message in a reply
08-Aug-2005, 11:26 PM

quote:

Originally posted by David

Clean your specs Noel, there's no 'edited' there.
You football hooligan you.

Edited by - David on 08 Aug 2005 03:33:23

Umm the jury's out on that I'm afraid .
Is it any wonder referees are so unloved,[^]
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-Aug-2005, 02:20 PM

Sorry. I thought you were talking about the latest post of Aug 8.
But anyway, after watching the North End v Derby game, what a sleeper.
Go on, tell me they were robbed by the ref as is always the North End excuse. Can't do it this time though, if ever there was a clear cut penalty decision, that was it.
How far away is Ewood Park from where you live ? You know, some real football. ;-))
09-Aug-2005, 02:33 PM

It's about 10 miles away David, a dreadful place. I didn't watch the game last night so can't comment. The season's started too early for me, I don't like watching football in warm temperatures. You've got to be able to see your breath before it's proper football. More into cricket at the moment with young Andrew Flintoff who comes from Fulwood in view of one of the most magnificent football ground in the world. The birth-place of football, it is to football what Mecca is to Muslims.
09-Aug-2005, 05:39 PM

Watch this space [Tongue][Tongue][Tongue]

Jim
09-Aug-2005, 09:11 PM

David, to be serious let me tell you why I don't like the Premiership. This season's champions will be Chelsea. 2nd&3rd Man U and Arsenal( not saying which is 2nd and which 3rd.) Relegated, 3 out of West Brom, Wigan, West Ham and Sunderland.FA Cup winners one out of Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal. Care to differ? The point is it's so predicatable. The rest may as well not bother. Maybe you could throw Liverpool in as outsiders in the cup.
10-Aug-2005, 07:12 AM

Whatever happened to a towns football club actually having players from that town ??? ( I know I'm old fashioned!!!)
10-Aug-2005, 08:04 AM

The days when footballers hopped on the same bus as the spectators has gone, these days footballers at top clubs like Man U roll up in their Ferraris and Lamborginis. It's not a sport at that level and the daft beggars who pay £30 to get on are funding a very handsome way of living for these foreign players.
10-Aug-2005, 03:12 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

David, to be serious let me tell you why I don't like the Premiership. This season's champions will be Chelsea. 2nd&3rd Man U and Arsenal( not saying which is 2nd and which 3rd.) Relegated, 3 out of West Brom, Wigan, West Ham and Sunderland.FA Cup winners one out of Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal. Care to differ? The point is it's so predicatable. The rest may as well not bother. Maybe you could throw Liverpool in as outsiders in the cup.

I agree with everything you have said. As far as I'm concerned, the English Premiership is now no different than the Scottish League, they being a two teamer, the Prem a three teamer.
As much as I love my soccer games, this season I have not renewed my subscription to the Pay per view Premiership games. I'll catch them second hand.
And to comment on Shuffy's post....I remember quite a few years ago when I was on vacation in Preston my teenage niece and her boyfriend were planning a drive in his Robin down to Exeter to watch North End play there. I commented that perhaps they should visit Anfield instead, Liverpool were ruling the roost back then. Her boyfriend made the comment to me that "Liverpool aren't 'our lads' " So I asked him just how many Prestonians were playing for Preston ??? None !!
Liverpool is 30 miles away...Exeter 250 ?? In a Robin ?? I'd rather have taken my chances in the shuttle [Big Grin]
I've said for quite some years now that there needs to be a salary cap and a more equitable transfer market if there will ever be a return to equality between the teams.
Of course, it will never happen [Sad]
I remember once being on the Spion Kop at Deepdale and Bill Scott was playing left back. When the final whistle blew we made our way to the Deepdale Labor Club for a pint. When we got to the bar, Bill Scott already had a pint in his hand. [:0]
12-Aug-2005, 04:40 PM

You certainly surprised me with the comments about your beloved Sky David, good on you, if more did the same there wouldn't be as much money sloshing around in the players' pockets. I find it obscene when players think nothing of betting £10k on a game of cards and 2/3rds of the world is starving. That money could be put to beter use.
Another game tomorrow v Reading and I have to run my son and daughter-in law to a wedding near Clitheroe at 2-30, 30 minutes before kick off so I won't be at the game. And do you know what it's not bothering me in the slightest. My eyes will be on how Wigan do against Chelsea good luck Wigan, you'll need it. My mate's going £25 a ticket is it worth it, it's only £30 for a full day at the Test Match.