Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
The Art Teacher was Miss Whewell-don't remember much else but she did play a good game of tennis.
Had her favourites and I wasn't one -never have been able to grovel very easily.
I can recall lesson after lesson of trying to master the letters of the alphabet.
In the exam we had to copy a carnation for one exam and tennis racquets for the other plus the lettering.
Now Art Appreciation was non-existent at Balshaws but I had a friend Frank Livesey who not only taught me to play chess in the back row of Assembly but also went with me to lectures in Preston Art Gallery on the History of Art.
Fascinating stuff and I learned heaps.
Once Old Vic left I think things must have moved ahead.
For all that I was there seven years until came the revolution.And I escaped!
The only accents our school teachers had ...other than the Queen's that is ..was Irish and French.
The french nun who came to teach us french in the middle of our school career .... taught in french only ..a bit late at fouteen to start with french immersion ..our knowledge of the language came to a sudden halt but she was pretty and very modern, her greatest asset was that she hated our bottle green bloomers and told the superiors ...we loved her!!
T. D.
Sounds exciting! What colour bloomers did SHE wear, then??!!
We too had a lovely 'Mademoiselle' who came to teach for a while.
Linda, I have to do a bit of lettering now and then, it's still pretty tedious, but I print out the text and then use a projector.
Hi Caroline - do you remember Monsieur Origas, who came from Strasbourg, I think, to assist with our Sixth Form French? He never could get the hang of the "Elephant" jokes, could he? Tres illogique, he said.quote:

Originally posted by Caroline

Sounds exciting! What colour bloomers did SHE wear, then??!!
We too had a lovely 'Mademoiselle' who came to teach for a while.
Linda, I have to do a bit of lettering now and then, it's still pretty tedious, but I print out the text and then use a projector.

Not sure I remember Peggy at St James -it is such a L O N G time ago.I was at St James from 1939 at the start of WW2 -was 4 at the time and stayed there until 1946.
It was such a lengthy trek from near St Marys ,Bamber Bridge where we lived to go to school or it seemed so at such a tender age.Sometimes the snow seemed so deep and the chilblains were horrendous.I never really liked being at school at all.I can always remember being in trouble for one reason or another.It's a familiar story.
I thought I was so good too.
Anyway as schools go I guess it wasn't too bad.Nothing much seems to have changed there -the big doors are still there and the yard looks the same.
When my dad died 4 years ago the funeral director Roy Wilde remembered me from way back.
Did Peggy get involved with the school choir in going to Preston to make a record.I still have a copy somewhere-it must have been about 1943 or 1944.
Don't know how I got in with that lot -my singing ability is indescribable.
Anyway there were some light moments -the air raid shelters and the horlicks tablets to keep us amused and school dinners were none too bad.
LG
Hi Audrey - I'm on the '65 pic (Upper Sixth), fortunately in shadow, standing next to May Butler. A few feet away from us on the same row is Sylvia Mylroie who later married (Sir) Michael Jay; he was British Ambassador to France at the time Diana, Princess of Wales died in the Paris car crash. quote]Originally posted by audpluswesties

Double oops!!! Sorry everyone - wrong click! I'm on the 65 pic which was in 4th year for me.
Sorry, Aud, but it's been pretty well confirmed that the "59" picture really was taken in the 59-60 school year.

I bailed out of the Lower 6th in April 58, and a lot of the prefects and upper-class students in that photo were my contemporaries.

I have compiled a names list, with the help of other folks on the forum. Although it's only about 85% complete, I'll post it shortly.

Frank Damp
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Lady G:

I remember a lot of angst in Art with Miss Whewell. She had a real fetish for repetitive fabric patterns. We spent almost the whole two years (2nd and 3rd forms?) doing little repeating squares of fabric motifs. As soon as there was the split between Art, Music and Woodwork (4th form?) I headed for "little Harry's" woodwork class. I'd have taken music if the teacher had been anyone other than Stan Black. I never forgave that SOB for running the after-school cross-country program, a major bone of contention for me.

Frank Damp
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
No, Audrey, there must be another May Butler! The one one the photo with me (we are still in touch) grew up at Slack Farm, Brindle and still has both feet as far as I know. She is now Mrs Griffiths and teaches at Balshaws!quote:

Originally posted by audpluswesties

Maybe I'm way out but was May Butler the girl from Balshaw Lane Euxton who had a foot amputated re a mowing machine accident?

I didn't know May taught at Balshaws!! The last time I saw her she said how unhappy she'd been there, that was why she was such a quiet person.