Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hadrian's Wall
Did you know there's a hop-on, hop-off bus that runs the length of Hadrian's Wall? No, neither did I until I read this article today: http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/mar/29/uk.familyholidays Bet they won't let you use a NoW card on the service though, even if the stops are less than 15 miles apart. [Sad]

Hadrian's Wall is a place I've always fancied visiting, but never got round to. Now I've read about the bus, I've a yen to try it - mus tmake time to get around to it!
If you want to see Hadrian`s wall Linda, I`ll bring a piece next time we have a meet.[Tongue]
We arrived home, many years ago, following a visit, where our young son promptly produced a lump - `for his collection`.

We explained that if every visitor removed a piece, there would soon be nothing left to look at and that was why it was illegal to take pieces away.
Should we have told him that BEFORE we went?
Jim
I visted Hadrian's Wall back in the seventies. We were repairing a conveyor belt somewhere near Hexham. Tragically an engineer had got caught between the belt and conveyor rollers and had been strangled to death. The belt had been cut to free the poor chap.
As we were repairing it a news item was read out on the radio saying Gracie Fields had died. The other bad news was that the only B&B I could find was a temperance hotel. The Wall itself wasn't much to look at, all I can remember apart from what I have written is how cold and exposed the place was. Not somewhere to spend your holidays.
quote:

Originally posted by Spitfire

We explained that if every visitor removed a piece, there would soon be nothing left to look at and that was why it was illegal to take pieces away.
Should we have told him that BEFORE we went?

You weren't to know he'd want to bring a bit home with him! Perhaps you need a return visit to take it back?
quote:

Originally posted by noel

Not somewhere to spend your holidays.

Worth a trip on a sunny day to see the museums and forts along the length of the wall though. Bad luck on finding what is surely the only "dry" hotel in that neck of the woods - you'd need a nip of something in such a bleak place, esp if the cause of your visit was such a nasty and distressing accident.